Research shows that cardiac arrest is a leading cause of death in Australia, and many don’t have symptoms initially. In cardiac arrest, the heart stops beating abruptly and without warning. That’s when you require defibrillators. You can search for online retailers that provide a defibrillator for sale. This device uses an electric shock to help the heartbeat. Anyone with little or no training can use it. And if you are still hesitant about utilising them, read the following benefits for a better understanding and gain some tips on choosing the right one.
Proper maintenance of a defibrillator is paramount to ensure its efficacy when it’s needed most. A crucial aspect often overlooked in AED maintenance is the device’s battery life, which can be the deciding factor between a life saved and a life lost during a cardiac emergency. Thus, understanding when you need to change the AED battery becomes an imperative knowledge piece for all AED owners and handlers. This entails familiarizing oneself with the specific device’s indicator for low battery and adhering to recommended replacement timelines, ensuring that your AED is perpetually operational and ready to deliver life-saving shocks whenever necessary.
What are the benefits of using a defibrillator?
Defibrillators can be used in public places and are known to save people’s lives. You can look at some of the benefits below.
- It can help you diagnose your health condition: In addition to saving lives, these devices can diagnose certain health conditions. You can use a defibrillator to test your heart and blood pressure, breathing, and blood sugar levels. It’s important to note that it is not recommended to use the defibrillator for diagnosing other medical conditions.
- It is easy to use: A defibrillator device sends an electrical current to the heart, which helps restore normal rhythm. It can be used on people who are unconscious (unresponsive) because of a heart attack or another cardiac emergency. Check that you’re using it correctly. Read the instructions carefully, and ask your local doctor or nurse to show you how to use it if you aren’t sure. They’ll give you special training if necessary and check that your machine is working properly. You should also check the battery regularly and ensure that all its components are in good condition when storing or transporting it.
- It is affordable: An average person can purchase a defibrillator for 1,000 to 2,000 dollars, making it a reasonable investment. Renting defibrillators for monthly fees is another alternative to purchasing one outright. It’s important to note that many companies offer this service; some require a large deposit upfront, while others do not.
How to choose a suitable defibrillator?
Choosing a defibrillator is a complicated process. Thanks to this article, it can be easy to select. Hence, you must consider the following factors.
- The number of pads: While most defibrillators come with four pads and two paddles, some models offer additional electrodes that may be useful for larger patients or those who have stopped breathing normally (for example, those experiencing cardiac arrest). If such an option is available on the model you’re considering, there’s no reason not to go for it!
- The weight of the unit itself: If you plan on carrying a defibrillator regularly or if you need assistance from others when doing so (for instance, if your patient has limited mobility), then the weight will be significant for selecting a device that is easier to carry around in non-emergency situations without getting tired out easily due to its bulkiness or awkwardness. During transport modes like ambulances, space isn’t always plentiful compared with other vehicles like cars—so keep this in mind while shopping around!
- Select from the different types: Manual defibrillators can be used by anyone and do not require training. They don’t run on electricity and use compressed air to deliver an electric shock. Automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are much more expensive. Still, they require less training because they use voice prompts and visual displays to guide the user through the process of using them correctly. External defibrillators are worn on the body and used during cardiac arrest whereas internal defibrillators are implanted into the heart.
You can look at online stores for a defibrillator for sale. After all, it is affordable and saves lives. If you have one in your home, then you’re more likely to be able to use it if someone needs it.