Even when you are extremely cautious, you may get injured in an ill-fated car accident. Accidents like these are not uncommon in Arizona. Following the incident in Tucson, your immediate step should be about calling the police. You need to wait at the scene until the investigating officer arrives, and if someone is injured, call 911 immediately. Once the dust settles, consider hiring a Tucson auto accident attorney. In this post, we are sharing the things you can expect from a lawyer.
- Immediate response. Either the lawyer is interested in your case, or they are not. No matter the situation, a professional accident attorney will respond to your call. If a lawyer is not keeping up with appointments, that’s a red flag that you need someone else.
- Free initial consultation. Most personal injury lawyers in Tucson offer a free initial consultation for car accident victims. Make sure that you insist on meeting the accident attorney in person to discuss your case.
- Contingency fee. If a lawyer asks for an hourly rate for your car accident claim, start looking for other options. Top accident attorneys in Arizona only ask for a fee if and when they win. There shouldn’t be any upfront fee.
- Realistic assessment. Beware of lawyers who promise a lot of things in the first meeting. What you can expect is an overview of the case and what you can get in a settlement. Your lawyer should explain the merits and demerits of your claim.
- Availability. You can also assume that your accident attorney will be available to take questions. Many lawyers may work for the same law firm, and it is always wise to ask the accident attorney you meet about their current caseload. They may assign the case to someone from the same firm, which isn’t necessarily bad.
- Trial experience. Car accident claims are usually settled through negotiations. If the matter ends up in court, you need a lawyer who has experience in representing clients at trial. Don’t shy away from asking for references.
- Support for investigation. Your accident attorney is in charge of investigating the case and gathering evidence. Ask the lawyer about their approach and how they intend to collect info to bolster your case.
Call a car accident attorney in Tucson soon after you are injured. In Arizona, the statute of limitations allows two years to file an injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.