Pain in your back can range from a mild, dull, uncomfortable ache to a persisted, severe, life-devastating pain. Back pain limits your mobility and negatively impacts your normal body functioning and quality of life. On the other hand, neck pain usually occurs in the cervical vertebrae in the neck, which is often unprotected and exposed to external injury. Here, we will discuss more on the main causes of chronic neck and back pain as well as the possible treatments for neck and back pain in Mason.
Causes of Back and Neck Pain
Currently, the immediate cause of back and neck pain is not exactly known. However, some assumptions are suspected to be the cause of back and neck pain, such as:
- Excessive smoking
- Ligament or muscle spasms
- Arthritis or joint problems
- Poor muscle tone
- Muscle strain or sprain
- Abnormal growth, such as a bone spur or tumor
- Muscle tension
- Increased weight in your spine and excessive pressure on your discs
- Trauma, fractures, or injuries
- Herniated or protruding disc and pinched nerve
- Compression fractures
- Congenital abnormalities present at the birth of your bones and vertebrae
- Abdominal problems such as aortic aneurysm
- Improper use, overuse, strenuous activity such as heavy or repetitive lifting
- Degeneration of the vertebrae due to excessive stress on the ligaments and muscles that support your spine
Symptoms of Back Pain
Some of the common symptoms of back pain include:
- A persistent ache in the lower or middle part of your back, especially after sitting or standing for long periods
- Leg numbness or tingling below or above your knee
- Dull, sharp, burning pain in your back, often confined to a single spot or a larger area
- Shooting, sharp pain that spreads from your low back to your buttocks, thinks and into your calf and toes
- Achiness or stiffness that begins anywhere from your neck to your tailbone
Symptoms of Neck Pain
Some of the common symptoms associated with neck pain include:
- Shooting sharp pain or mild aches in your neck
- Arm tingling or numbness
- Shoulder pain
How to Prevent Neck and Back Pain
Below are some brief guidelines on how to prevent neck and back pain:
- Avoid smoking.
- Exercise frequently to improve your balance.
- Properly use computers, telephones and other equipment.
- Maintain correct postures while standing, sleeping, and sitting.
- Practice doing specific back-strengthening exercises to keep your back muscle strength.
- Make sure you have enough Vitamin D and calcium in your diet.
- Practice correct lifting techniques, such as bending your legs, keeping your back straight, and slowly lifting your body and the object.
- Minimize emotional stress, which causes muscle tension.
Available Neck and Back Pain Treatments
Based on your diagnosis and various independent factors, the team at Elite Physical Medicine will design a suitable treatment plan to help relieve your back and neck pain. Some of our common integrative treatment plans include:
- Nerve blocks
- Innovative treatment
- Massage therapy
- Joint injections
- Therapeutic exercise
- Chiropractic adjustments
The three main phases of our treatment programs are:
- Ongoing maintenance
- Structural healing
- Immediate pain relief
Back or neck pain can interfere with your everyday activities and negatively impact your mood. Fortunately, at Elite Physical Medicine, we provide all our patients with effective treatment for their back and neck problems. For customized treatment, schedule an evaluation online, or simply call our office in Mason, Ohio.