The COVID-19 pandemic has brought with it a multitude of challenges, one of which is a shortage of distilled water. This shortage is affecting not only everyday household use but also a critical medical need – the use of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines for sleep apnea patients.
In this article, we’ll explore the causes of the distilled water shortage and its impact on CPAP users, as well as how one company, Aquapap, is working to ensure that its customers have a steady supply of distilled water.
What Is Distilled Water?
Distilled water is water that has been purified through a process of distillation. This process involves boiling water and then condensing the steam back into a liquid form, leaving behind impurities such as minerals, bacteria, and other contaminants. The resulting water is considered pure and is often used in medical and industrial applications where high levels of purity are required.
How It Can Be Used In CPAP machine?
One of the primary uses of distilled water is in Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines, which are used to treat sleep apnea. CPAP machines work by blowing pressurized air into a mask worn over the nose or mouth to keep the airway open during sleep. To maintain the effectiveness of the therapy, it is important to keep the equipment clean and free of impurities. This is where distilled water comes in.
Distilled water can also be used in the humidifier chamber of a CPAP machine. A humidifier chamber is a device that attaches to the CPAP machine and adds moisture to the pressurized air delivered to the patient. This is important because CPAP therapy can sometimes cause dryness in the nose and throat, which can be uncomfortable for the patient and make it difficult to continue using the therapy.
Cleaning CPAP Machine With It
When cleaning CPAP machines, distilled water is used because it is pure and free from impurities that can cause damage to the equipment and lead to bacterial growth. Using distilled water in CPAP machines helps prolong the life of the equipment and reduces the need for frequent replacements. Additionally, regular use of distilled water in CPAP machines can also improve the overall effectiveness of the therapy by ensuring that the air delivered to the patient is free from contaminants biographypark.
Why Not To Use Tap Water?
It’s important to note that using tap water or other types of water that contain impurities can lead to clogging of the machine’s filter, which can cause the machine to function less efficiently. This can also lead to the growth of bacteria, which can be harmful to the patient’s health. Therefore, it is essential to use distilled water in CPAP machines to ensure the best results.
Causes of the Distilled Water Shortage
- Increased demand for household cleaning and sanitizing due to the pandemic
- Production disruptions due to factory closures and supply chain issues
- Prioritization of other essential goods, such as medical equipment, over distilled water
Impact on CPAP Users
- CPAP machines require regular cleaning and disinfecting, which relies on the use of distilled water
- Shortage of distilled water may lead to a shortage of disposable CPAP filters, as they cannot be cleaned with tap water.
- Difficulty in obtaining distilled water may cause disruptions in CPAP therapy for sleep apnea patients, leading to an increase in symptoms such as daytime fatigue and difficulty concentrating.
How Aquapap Is Coping With The Shortage
Aquapap is a company that specializes in providing CPAP users with a steady supply of distilled water and other necessary supplies.
- By maintaining strong relationships with suppliers and closely monitoring the distilled water market, Aquapap is able to ensure a steady supply for its customers.
- Aquapap also offers a service for regular delivery of distilled water and other CPAP supplies, providing added convenience for customers.