Numerous auto accidents are reported in Georgia every month. A considerable number of these crashes, accidents, and collisions happen in and around Atlanta. If you ever end up in an accident, you should know your rights and follow the vital steps. It is also wise to consult an auto accident attorney Atlanta to know your scope for seeking compensation for your injuries and losses. Here are some key steps to follow immediately after.
- Check for injuries and call 911. Don’t be fooled to assume that your injuries are not severe. If you have evident signs of pain and trauma, call 911 immediately. You should also seek medical attention if other drivers or passengers are injured.
- Call the police. Georgia laws require you to report the accident if someone was killed or injured in the crash. You should also call the police if there was evident property damage worth $500 or more. Keep in mind that you should inform the police or the local sheriff’s office at the earliest.
- Get key contact & insurance details. Talk to the other drivers and get their contact and insurance info. Georgia is a fault state, which means that the at-fault driver must pay for your damages and losses. Check if there were witnesses to the accident and note down their contact details.
- Take evidence from the accident scene. Take as many photos and videos of the scene as you can. The idea is to document everything that happened, including damage to vehicles and injuries endured. If you decide to file an injury lawsuit, all that will come in handy.
- Talk to an accident attorney. Personal injury cases are inherently complex. You have to speak to an accident attorney at the earliest to understand the worth of your claim. They can guide you on the worth of your claim, what you can expect from the lawsuit, and other aspects like the impact of your fault on the settlement.
Immediately after the accident, you may feel stressed. Don’t be tempted to leave the accident scene and do not engage in arguments with the other party. Wait for the police to arrive, and even if you were partly at fault, do not give a statement to the insurance company unless you have spoken to an attorney. Find a reliable accident lawyer in your area right now and keep their contact handy. Auto accidents can happen to anyone, and you need advice to deal with the aftermath.